Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1993-02-10 Recreation Committee MinutesMinutes The meeting of-:the Recreation Committee came to order at 7:35 pm in the, Conference Room of Town Hall on February 10, 1993. Pre8:ent3at the meeting were members Kate Kaminer, John Pacino, Gordon Richards, Fred Conover, Ed Hanley, Lorraine Salter, Gary Roberts and Tom Zaya. In addition were staff Ruth Cogan, and guests Paul Lucerto, Dom Orosco, Dave Blanchard, Arthur Kramer, Marlene Foley and Jerry Pothier. The minutes of January 13, 1993 were approved as presented 5:0:0. Paul Lucerto came to speak to the Committee about a Summer League for Youth Baseball. It would be for 8 - 12 year old boys and girls on weekdays 6 - dusk. The cost would be $40 for the first child, $25 for the second. The program would begin the week of July 4th and go to the week before Labor Day. There will be 8 teams, 2 games a week. The teams would be different from the spring teams. Conover asked whether the games could be played during the day. Hanley asked how many games would be played per night and how would excess registrants be handled. Salter arrived. Kaminer gave a brief synopsis of the meeting last year concerning Hunt Park. It was noted that if there were any early start re- quests that neighbors would be notified. Lucerto noted that no Sunday games were scheduled for this summer, however, because they planned to play on Friday nights Sundays would be held in reserve for rain dates. They also planned a fifth game for Satur- days that would begin at 5:30 pm. Mrs. Foley said that she had no opposition to a 9 am game start time on Saturday mornings nor people being on the field at 8:30 am. Three members of the Recreation Committee remembered that at the meeting last year it was said there would only be one All Star day of games. Lucerto noted that the request for that day would be to start at 11 am in order to get in three games and trophy ceremonies. Foley said that she did not mind the one hour early start. Kramer noted that he would rather have the games played over 2 Sundays with noon starts than one Sunday with an 11 am start. He later changed his mind and said that the one 11 am start was ok. Han- ley asked how the neighbors felt about the 5:30 pm Saturday game. The neighbors were not pleased with this. Conover asked how long the season was; 17 game schedule. Conover noted that he felt that it was too many games in light of field availability and that in the past one team did not play on Saturdays. Kaminer asked why they could not stretch out the time; Lucerto noted that the season was already extended one week to eliminate the Sunday games. Salter asked if Lucerto had any feedback from the par- ticipants; he noted they want to play as many games as possible. He noted that the season is only eight weeks long, that the neighbors have the field the rest of the year and weekdays. Con- over asked if they could play on other fields; Lucerto noted that Hunt was the only regulations field. The Committe thanked Lucerto for his input. Jerry Pothier came in front of the Committee with a new program request for a Little League Challenger Division for physically and mentally handicapped kids ages 6 through 18. The rules are the Little League safety rules. The class officers and team cap- tains at the high school have agreed to participate as "buddies" for the kids. The program would run in May and June, one or two games per week. The only expense would be the cost of a $15 um- pire per game. If it run with the Recreation Division the liability issue would be covered under the Town's insurance policy. Otherwise, the group would have to buy a one million dollar policy at a cost of approximately $500. By being with this organization the kids will have kids from other towns to play with (no scores kept, fun only). Little League has offered to donate equipment. Dates and times will be announced. The cost would be $25 per child. A motion was made by Pacino, seconded by Salter to approve this program. Motion passed 6:0:0. Dom Orozco gave an overview of the soccor program. He noted that 1000 kids and 250 adults participate in the program each year. They use a variety of fields and would like to pay to maintain a field but the Committee noted that that would not ensure their exclusive use. Orozco noted that that was why they had not done so. They would like to host a soccor camp this year the week of July 19 at Parker from 9 am - noon for Reading kids. Supervisor's Report was given by Cogan. Discussion was held con- cerning the incident on the Parker ski bus. Hanley, Salter and Kaminer all noted that they felt the kids should be kicked off the bus for the remainder of the program. The outstanding clinic fee from last summer was paid that day. The applications were received for the Supervisor's position. Pacino, Kaminer, Conover and Salter will meet as a subcommittee and recommend their top five candidates. A date of March 1 was set for their meeting. The Master Recreation Plan Subcommittee report was given by John Pacino. He noted that it was a very productive meeting and that they had changed the name of the subcommittee to better reflect their work. He said that they had a lot of work to do and that they may be enlisting the help of other members to help. Right now they are updating the inventory of available and potential use space. Donald Nadeau, the COnservation Administrator, had been very helpful giving them maps and state inventories. The next meeting has been set for February 17 at 7:30. Teen Subcommittee had no report at this time. The Field Subcommittee will be meeting on February 25 at 7 pm at Town Hall. Cogan gave present members requests received to day; the remainders will be sent out after the deadline. Kaminer noted that a member is need as a representative of the Recreation Committee for the Drug and Alcohol Council as Salter would like to step down from that position. Cogan gave an over- view of the Council. Kaminer asked people to think about it before the next meeting. Cogan noted that all Sunday concerts had been scheduled. Because no one wanted to play on July 4th, the season will run from July 11 through August 29. Two new bands have been booked, including a local jazz orchestra. The Wednesday childrens concerts is in the process of being set. Meeting adjourned at 10 pm Respectfully submitted, Zt cam- Ruth L. Cogan . Acting Recreation Supervisor