HomeMy WebLinkAbout1998-07-08 Historical Commission MinutesIZ-
8 July 1998
Historical Commission a s
Attending:
Clay Jones
Virginia Adams
Roberta Sullivan
Col. Wilbar Hoxie
Louise Sandberg
Call to order: 7:40
1. The Wilbar Hoxie was appointed full member through the year 2000. Clay Jones and Louise Sandberg
were reappointed until 2001.
2. The dehumidifier is not functioning properly in the archives.
3. Minutes of June 19 accepted as corrected 5-0-0. Minutes of June 11 accepted as corrected, 5-0-0.
4. Treasurer's report: Bills that have been paid are University Products $180.53, Sorli, architect, $180
(special revenue), and Redstone Camera $47.43.. Bill pending: $37.27 to Redstone Camera from the
regular account. Our regular account is presently at $1250. Our account at the end of the fiscal year
was 25.79 the Redstone camera bill took us down to -$11.25. The special account is $1962.86. Report
will be included with the minutes.
5. Old business: Library History Room. The commission should discuss their concerns about security.
Minutes to be submitted by Virginia. Copies to be submitted later to library and Town Clerk by
secretary.
6. Correspondence: Community Preservation Coalition has contacted us about a plan to encourage
communities to enact regulations to levy a percentage of the sale of properties over $100,000 for the
purchase of open space or historic preservation.
7. Auburn Street water tower: The commission was poled as to what it wants to do concerning the tower.
The demolition delay will come into effect when, and if, the town decides to demolish it. The Colonel
is going to look into the tower's historical significance.
8. Police Station: The business community wants to tear down the old building. They want the area for
parking.
9. Mill Street Park is an idea that comes from the Reading Friends of Historic Preservation as a project
for the millenium. This would be the area behind 51 Mill Street. The area is around 9 or 10 acres and
would include the Lobs Pound Mill. It was near an area used for the training of the militia. The
commission expresses interest.
10. Archives: Louise and Virginia will be working a morning a week this summer. We hope to get
Eleanor back in the fall. We are getting another Memorial Volume from K. MacDonald. We can use
it as we want.
11. Demolition delay revision is tabled.
12. Preservation program: October? Antique Road Show?
13. Preservation awards to 89 Main St, Town Meeting, and Dave Barrett in September? Discuss at later
meeting.
14. 379 Haverhill St. will possibly up for a demolition delay. The house is ca. 1765 or 1787. See
Rooftrees, Chapter 16. We want to see the inside of the house. Virginia is going to contact Colonial
Realty.
15. 607 Main St. is coming down. The recent article in the Advocate was distributed. Clay has
volunteered to provide a series of press releases for both papers. Virginia asked if we should respond
to the information in the Advocate or should we let it go. The commission feels that an article should
be prepared telling the community what will be disappearing forever when the building comes down.
16. The Colonel thanked us for our aid in getting him appointed to the commission.
17. Damon House: Virginia and Roberta took more pictures.
18. Slate of officers: Virginia Adams, Chairman 4-0-1; Secretary, Louise Sandberg, 4-0-1, Treasurer,
Roberta Sullivan, 4-0-1.
19. The commission thanks Allan Ulrich for his service and David O'Sullivan for his great service as co-
chairman and full member. May he stay an active associate member indefinately.