Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1969-11-25 Town Forest Committee Minutes 40 Cetober z6 , 1969 (continued) 71lliam 3rown Troop 702 ;illiam Brogan 735 Leon LaFreniere 762 Bernard Dickman--7eighborhood Commissioner James a . terry , Chairman , TownForest Committee Benjamin E. 17ichols , Secretary of Town ]sorest committee and ae ive Scouter John ,ouanis , Town Pnmpr g 3tation iln., inreor All agreed it ;:.ould be 'cost to install a gate , which would be 'rapt untie_, palock at all times , just beyond the filter house at the beginning of the causeway to the rest of tYB Torn sorest . -„nen 3cout troops nisi: to use the 2oroct , they will �o to tae ventr-1 s'.re �tativn, at a sire permit, an Indian ;Iump for fire protection,and the key to the gate . At the end of the camping trip , the pump and the key ,,ill be returned to the Central Fire 3t tion. The Town Forest Committed -,rill ask the Board of 2ublic ,'lorks to design and instill this _c.te , and the cost r.!ill be paid from funds of the Town Forest Committee . Also , a request -./ill be ace to the Board. of Public ";or,:s to dump some large rocks to close the cirt road les"ding from the lagoon to the road go`.ng to 2oint One. These are to be dumped co there will be parking available on the Forest side andon the ',later 2umning Station side . The Town Forest Committee wi,.�hes to encorare the use of the Forest bZ, groups and inti ividua L; a'co -sill enjoy it and not destroy any sari of it . 'Zao ly ,uri)ose of thu gate and the t barriers mace from large rocks is to keep out undesiraule persons . november 29 , 1969 ark Label fro:a Boy Scout Troop 702 led another work party in installing three more granite boundary posts along the southern boundary of the Town Forest . These locations are shown as points "H," and "D” as si_own on the map on Pate 39-A. The Scouts working included : Jim Llorris, Mike Hanson, Steve Leaave and Jerry €ieumann . Scooter "3ayne Habel was there , but the Sconts did the work . Surveyor La^nence "Bucky" 7ebster located the eyact points for the Lranite posts , lovenber 25 , 1969 Tues, Z7 evoning ecutive s,ssio:i hel at home of Chairmen Janes 3 . terry. 1, emocxs pr Ont inclu ed : James er-r�>, Ch::.irman _;enjamin E. Uiohels, .;e Cretury lrvinL E . Dickey 3enjamin . Nichol: moved the enoual budget of 62 ,OCO .00 for re: uler maintenance of roads , tr:d is ,.:nd. cleaaria, . It was so voted . 41 'r ossible land acquisitions -::ere discussed which might be brought up at the _'nnual Tonm :.-eating . -enjemin E. l?ichol- moved to hire Abbott , reLic:tered land surve;-or, to surve�, the lard of :Zobert -'arleon, .hioh had previousl3- been discussed -.7"th obe:rt Jarlson . This survee nodi_ develop inform tioi: the land aroa s:nd eontoi.rs . it wa.. so voted. the mceti_ r was adjourned . Annual Report of the Town Forest Committee for 1969 To the Citizens of Reading: We submit our report for 1969. The retirement of Maurice H. Donegan from the Town Forest Committee during 1969 came as a great loss. Maurice H. Donegan was a member of this committee from 1944 through 1969, and his father Henry M. Donegan was a member from the beginning of the Town Forest in 1930 through 1943. Thus , theTown of Reading has had the benefit of the knowledge and interest of this family for thtrty-nine years. The vacancy on the Committee was filled by the appointment of Irving E. Dickey , the Tree Warden for the Town of Reading. He studied at the Essex Agricultural and Technical School to become an arborist. His knowledge and experience make him a fine addition to the Committee . The maintenance and clearing of the Town Forest has peen continued using the recommendations of our State Forester. Granite boundary markers were Bet in five additional locations on the southern boundary of the Forest . Boy Scouts planted approximately twelve hundred Scotch Pine saplings on the west side of the Scrub Oak Hill area, and two hundred on the easterly side of the Ordway Pit . This was only one of the conservation projects of the Reading Boy Scouts . The Boy Scouts continued to hike and camp in the Forest throughout the year. An additional Council Ring similar to the one which was planted April 26 , 1930 has been opened from the Fichols woodlot area, which was acquired at the Annual Town Meeting on April 15 , 1967. TheReaain6 Gamy dire uirla assed the Oelectmen at their meeting on May 18, 1964 for the use of some town-owned land on the same basis as that enjoyee by the Reading Boy Scouts. This new Council Ring for the Reading Camp FireGirla at last is becoming a reality.