HomeMy WebLinkAbout1951-06-11 Board of Public Works Minutes 136 \
Reading, Mass. , June 11, 1951
The regular meeting of the Board of Public Works opened at
7:00 P.M.
Chairman Hopkins, Messrs. Donahue, Calvin, Walker, and Super-
intendent Welch were present.
Records of previous meeting read and approved.
Voted to request owners of Atlas Paint and Hardware Co. and
North Main Street Garage to cease storing materials and equipment
on public way.
Conferred with Messrs. Kennedy, Pulsifer and Kerans of the
Malden and Melrose Gas Co. relative to location of proposed mixing
station for the introduction of natural gas.
Temporarily adjourned at 8:00 P.M. to meet as Board of Survey. ,
Reconvened at 8:15 P.M.
Conferred with the following persons relative to ban on ball
playing at Leach Park.
Mr. William Herrick Mr. Robert Chapman
Mr. Amos Record Mr. Charles Harris
Mr. Armes Rutilla Mrs. Helen O'Shea
They requested that the ban be removed. An extended .discussion
took place.
It was moved, seconded, and voted to reconsider the ban on
ball playing and to allow children under 13 years of age to play
softball only (no hardball) until 8:00 P.M.
The vote was 2 to 1. Mr. Donahue requested he be recorded
as being opposed to the above motion.
Voted to publish explanatory letter in Chronicle.
Following Granolithic Sidewalk applications received, approved
and placed on file:
137
Edmond Clark 76 Libby Avenue
Merrill Blanvelt 58 Libby Avenue
Following Granite Curbing applications received, approved,
and placed on file:
Edmond Clark 76 Libby Avenue 4/
Merrill Blanvelt 58 Libby Avenue
Voted following pole locations:
Pole 12/73 - N.E. T & T Co. - Abandoned - Haverhill St.
Pole 83/13 - J.O. - moved 9 feet southerly - South St.
Received letter from Board of Selectmen relative to accident
at Quannapowitt Ditch and possible protective devices for ditch.
Superintendent instructed to investigate.
Received letter from Selectmen relative to appointment of a
dog officer to replace the late Charles Melendy.
' Voted to inform the Selectmen that this Board does not wish
any employee of this Department appointed to the position.
Signed three official copies of orders changing name of
Shlpkin Avenue to Bear Hill Road, a copy of which is attached hereto
and herewith becomes a part of these records.
Set date and time for bids for two pump houses for gravel
wells at 7:30 P.M. , Monday, June 25, 1951.
Considered Water Department budgetary requirements for the
balance of 1951.
Read report of Superintendent on regrading ditch from Forest
Street towards Birch Meadow.
Considered written request of Foremen for change in classi-
fication schedule.
Made some suggested changes and returned request to Foremen
for their consideration.
138 -
Received letter from W. E.• Batfield of 19 Oak Street relative
to traffic and sidewalk conditions at the corner of Oak Street and
Summer Avenue.
Board will investigate.
Board adjourned at 11:15 P.M.
Respectfully submitted:
S etary
A Public Hearing was held at 8:30 P. M. regarding the proposed
change in name of Shipkin Avenue to Bear Hill Road. The following
listed persons appeared at the Hearing.
Harold Jonah, Jr. Dagmar Emmons
John Keane Francis Emmons , Jr.
Andrew Mulhinch Eugene Lassieur
Mary Keane Virginia Lassieur
Joann Jonah Lillian McLaren
Olive Mulhinch Bessie McGillicuddy
Harold Buck Ernest Watson
Grace Parley Mrs. Look - By Telephone
Verna Lehmann
The following vote was unanimously passed by the Board.
Members present:
Walter Hopkins, Chm.
James Calvin
John W. Harrison
Harry Walker
Whereas after a Public Hearing, and after discussion, it was
determined and adjudged by this Board that public convenience and
necessity require, that the name of the public way now known as
Shipkin Avenue be changed , it was, upon Motion duly made and seconded;
VOTED to adopt the following order:
0 R DERE D: That the name of Shipkin Avenue extend-
ing 1143 feet from Summer Avenue to Cedar Street be and is hereby
changed to, and shall hereafter be known as Bear Hill Road and that
such order authorizing such change of name, be duly signed by the Board,
and filed in the Office of the Town Clerk of Reading.