Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1951-05-28 Board of Public Works Minutes X33 Reading, Mass. , May 28, 1951 The regular meeting of the Board of Public Works opened at 7:00 P.M. Chairman Hopkins, Messrs . Calvin, Harrison, Walker, and Superintendent Welch were present. Following Granite Curb applications received, approved, and placed on file: Leo Surrette 11 Temple Street Received letter from Catherine Ahearn, 76 Howard Street, requesting an abatement on her April, 1951, water bill for her greenhouse. Voted not to make any abatement. It was moved, seconded and unanimously voted to amend Sect. ' . 19B of the rules and regulations of the Water Dept. , a copy of 4 which is attached hereto and herewith becomes a part of these records. It was moved, seconded and voted that all applications for water main extensions received after May 28, 1951, shall be subject to the new rates. Temporarily adjourned at 7:30 P.M. to meet as Board of Survey. Reconvened at 8:00 P.M. Hearing at 8:00 P.M. on pronosed sewer extension in Orange Street from Pearl Street to Spring Street. Following persons present: Marion Osborne In favor Mrs. Daniel Doran In favor Mrs . Harold McHardy In favor Keith Snyder In favor Ida Lindberg Against Discussed night athletic activities on playgrounds. 134 Considered request of Carl Amon of the Softball League to move lights from Sturges Park to Birch Meadow Softball Field for the summer months. Est. cost $100.00. Voted to deny request with regrets . Hearing at 8:30 P.M. on proposed change of name for Shipkin Avenue from Summer Avenue to Third Street. Following persons present: Harold Jonah, Jr. In favor John Keane In favor Andrew Mulhinch In favor Mary Keane In favor Joann Jonah In favor Olive Mulhinch In favor Harold Buck In favor Grace Parley In favor Verna Lehmann In favor Dagmar Emmons In favor Francis Emmons , Jr. In favor Eugene Lassieur Against Virginia Lassieur Against Lillian. McLaren In favor Bessie McGillicuddy In favor Ernest Watson In favor Mrs. Look - By Telephone Against After considerable discussion and several informal votes it was decided that the name Bear Hill Road was the most favored name. No action taken. Hearing at 8:45 P.M. on following proposed pole location: Orange St. - north side - 144 feet west of Belmont St. pole no. 66/12 No one present. Location granted. Mr. Chester Putnam and Mr. Ernest Watson, both foremen in this Department conferred with the Board relative to certain possible classification changes. They will present to the Board at a future date a sneclfic proposal. 135 Received letter from Laing Chevrolet Co. protesting specifica- tions for bids taken for a station wagon. No action taken. - Considered bids for two small sidewalk tractors . Voted to purchase one Ustrac Tractor from the Perrin Seamans Co. at the net bid price of $4,920.00. Voted to purchase one Oliver Tractor from the H. F. Davis Co. at the net price of $4,984.98. Received letter from the Personnel Board stating that the hourly rate for men working at fires will be $0.75 per hour, which is the minimum hourly rate for Unclassified Labor. Voted to protest to the Personnel Board their action on this matter. Board adjourned at 11:10 P.M. ` Respectfully submitted: Secre ,ary TOWN OF READING OFFICE OF WALTER S. NOPKINe.JR.,CHAIRMAN COLEMAN J. DONAHUE.eICRRARY y BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS JAMES S. CALVIN J JOHN W. HARRISON �. MUNICIPAL BUILDING _ HARRY R.WALKER MASSACHUSETTS READING, MASS. PHILIP wI1LCH...1..wr.X...T At a meeting of the Board of Public storks of the Town of Reading, duly held on Uonday , May 28, 1951, at which a quorum was present , it was voted to amend the Rules and Regulations of the Water Department in the manner following: Strike out Regulation 19B and substitute in lieu thereof the following: Section 19B. Before any extension of a water main is made, the applicant shall pay to the Town in advance, in cash, a sum equal to the estimated cost of the requested extension as determined by the Water Department. The above amendment to the Rules and Regulations of the Vater Department shall become effective as of June 1, 1951. re