HomeMy WebLinkAbout1975-06-25 ad Hoc - Bicentennial Commission Minutes I
Minutes 25 June 1975
The Bicentennial Commission met at the Library at 8 pm. Seven
of the nine members were present , and Mrs. Ebeling had forwarded a
written report.
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved with a title
correction for the tap slide show project as presented.
Mrs. Miller read a letter from the American Revolution Bicentennial
Administration outling a new policy permitting any organization, company,
corporation or individual,within,any recognized Bicentennial Community
(which Reading ie) to purchase and display the Bicentennial Flag. The
secretary will notify Miss Lillian Gregory, of Gregory & Weaver, that
their request can now be approved, and David Blette will see about a
public announcement of this new opportunity.
The young peoples group, led by Pair. Daddario, presented a report and
the requested detailed outline of their tape/slide project "Taverns in
the 18th Century". Dr. McCauley is assisting them as advisor, and he
moved, seconded by Maurice Proctor, that the project be approved, and
a sum not to exceed 4200 be authorized by the Commission. So voted.
As a result of the great interest in the Reading maps distlay the
Friends of the Library have had reproductions made of the 1765, 1875
& 1889 maps (100 of each) which may be purchased. Mrs. Miller said
that a 1916 map showing all the local trolley lines has been found and
a copy of it will be added to the Library collection.
The chairman also reported that the College Club still thinks their
grade-schoul history project is alive, and that she told them that if
they brought in something solid it could then be considered. She also
told the Commission that P.rs. Barclay 's brief history for the third grade
has been so popular that a second run of 25 copies had been prepared.
Mrs. Ebeling's report detailed 6 plaques installed, 5 more delivered,
and 6 to be ordered after final verification by Mrs. Bishop. The specific
site is not yet determined but the plaque at Woburn & West rtr. Lill read
"ialltia Muster Site - April 19, 1775". The added word,militia, Is included'
on the advice of Col. McCauley, to avoid any misinterpretation. A slight
variation in letter size was authorized to distinguish between the two
Richard Nichols houses. The non-resident owner of 81 Ash St. Is reluctant
to permit a marker. Mrs. Miller will talk with him further.
The owners of 284 Summer Ave. are reported to have a scrapbook of
Information on the history of the house and Harold Wyatt of Bjorkman and
Lann has informed Mrs. Miller they would be glad to make it available.
Mrs. Bishop will contact him.
David Biette showed photographs taken of the March flag raising.
The negatives are available for reproductions for the records. Hie father
took color slides as well.
The chairman then read a communication from John Agnep, executive
secretary of the Board of Selectmen, outlining a proposal to repair tae
Reading depot and use it for a Heritage Museum, setting up a-.local
h ist ori 1 commiesion and asking Bicentennial Commission endorsement ;
Poia - =laantennial matching vrant request at one of the
two remaining opportunities,, September or November.
There was a brief discussion, but , obviously, such an important -
proposition-could not be decided lightly. The members agreed to-
think.
the matter over for decision at a later date. There are several diff-
erent phases involved which could be considered separately. _
The question of the placing and form of the site markers is to be
decided by Mrs. Ebeling with Roy Skinner.
Maurice Proctor reported the Parker Tavern work coming along
nicely. He said that Mr. Larry Winn, community relations chairman of
the Massachusetts Bicentennial Commission, who made the presentation
of Reading 's Bicentennial Flag last March, visited the Tavern one day
recently and approvingly commented "it was money well spent. "
The next meeting was scheduled for 20 August unless an earlier
date should be needed.
Z9
Eleanor C. Bishop, secretary