Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1930-03-14 Board of Public Works Minutes -1- Reading, "lass. , March 14, 1930 ' A meeting of the Board of Public Works was held this day at 7: 30 P.M. Present were: Samuel H. Davis Martin B. Hartshorn Harold W. Putnam Frank M. Merrill William T. Fairclough and the Superintendent Mr. Iverson appeared before the Board with regard to the purchase of his gravel bankbythe Town. The bank is 92' to 112' in width and about 240' long and may be purchased for $500.00 The Board voted to purchase it after very careful consideration. A permit was granted to the Malden and Melrose Gaslight Co. to lay gas mains in Lawrence Road and Hampshire Road as per plan filed dated March 13, 1930. A permit was granted to the Municipal Light Dept. to erect one (1) ' pole in Spring northerly from Salem St. as shown on plan No. 275 dated Feb. 11, 1930, filed with petition. Mr. Marston, Mr. Carter and Mr. Kinball from Metcalf and Eddys ' Office gave a full report on the water situation, a copy of which was filed with the Board giving the location, depth and result of each test. Well No. 17 about 1000 ft. east of Grove St. near Wilmington line shows the best results yet obtained. The water was cold, soft, free from iron and gave an excellent pumping test. Work on the preparation of the location for the new stand pipe was discussed. Mr. Marston suggested that a cross section survey on 25' squares giving accurate levels be made of the site. Also accurate elevations of the old and new standpipe locations be made to get the exact difference in elevation of both. Mr. Marston recommended that a meter and registering device be installed to measure accurately all river water used so that the proper amount of chlorination might be given at all times. This in stallation would cost about $1500.00. March 14, 1930 -2- The Board felt that this would be advisable if much river water was to be used. ' The Drainage situation was discussed and the regulation of the elevation of Lake Quannapowitt considered. Mr. Davis was of the opinion that the action of the Legislature, some years ago, fixing the elevation of said Lake might still be accepted by the Town. A Permit to erection of a tablet on the triangle between Main & Washington Sts . was given to the Reading Antiquarian Society subject to the approval of the Board. The Superintendent reported that it was advisable to start work on the laving of the 12" water pipe from the location of the new stand pipe to Hopkins St. and Summer Ave. The location of the Barber land located near the pumping station was considered and the price found too high. ' Engineers from the office of J. R. Worcester Engineers came. before the Board relative to the new stand pipe but were informed that engineers were already retained for the work. The Board adjourned at 10:40 P.M. A True Record: Attest: William T. Fairclough SECRETARY