HomeMy WebLinkAbout1926-05-14 Board of Public Works Minutes May 14, 1926.
Members present: John W. Owen, Jos. 11. Boot''',, Frank Carter,
M. C. Higgins and the Superintendent.
A request from the Reading League of Women Voters for the use
of the building on the playground for a luncheon early in June was
refused.
Mr. Stockwell, owner of the "Knollwood" land development,
appeared at the meeting in regard to a water extension through his
property.
The proposed purchase of an additional gravel bank next to the
one we are now working, off West Street, was discussed. It was
decided to estimate the number of cubic yards in the bank and make
an offer for it.
Bids were opened for the construction of storm water drains as
' voted on April 9th. The contract was awarded to the lowest bidder,
Louis Balboni, for ''7858.00. An addition was made to the contract
after it was awarded. The item for concrete to be used in the
culvert across Prescott Street was omitted by mistake. Balboni
agreed to take on this additional item, estimated at 40 cubic yards ,
at $20.00 per cubic yard. The work is to begin on Monday, May 24th,
and nrogress in the following order:
Prescott Street
Lincoln Street
Lowell and Deering Streets -
School and Dudley Streets
Woburn Street
' Bids were opened for the ,`urnishing of glazed pipe for the
storm drains to be constructed. This contract was awarded to C. H.
Spring Company of Newton, who was the lowest bidder.
A petition was received from Amos McLean of Prescott Street
and others , asking for the removal of the unused car tracks on '
Prescott Street, and the' regrading of the street. He was advised
that these matters were receiving our attention, and that the work
would be done promptly.
The program of work for the Highway Department was discussed
by the Board. After finishing the work on the west side of. the
Town, which will take about three weeks , the Superintendent was
instructed to proceed with the work on Deering Street.
The propsed granolithic sidewalk around the Public Buildings
was approved by Board of Selectmen and the Planning Board.
A plan of proposed Ramsay Road off Main Street at the Stoneham
line was presented for approval by the owner, N. M. Carman. It
was the owner's desire to have this plan approved so that he might '
have his property recorded with the Registry of Deeds. The
description on the plan is as follows :
Plan of Land
Reading
Belonging to N. M. Carman
Scale 20' Oct. 1, 1925
Compiled by
John Dyer
Surveyor
Respectfully submitted,
M. C. Higgins
Sec. Board of Public Works .